Memes


Photo by Flickr

We all know what memes are, I'm sure. I'm 99.9% sure you may have received one from a friend or sent one yourself. Memes are a great way to get a laugh out of someone. I'm sure we all use them on a daily basis as well weather we personally send them or share them on our social media accounts.

Have you ever thought about memes in a way communicating? Memes are actually a way of communication. We communicate and connect with each other when sending memes. On KnowYourMeme, they talked about a term called Memetic Communication. Memetic Communication, or the use of memes as a form of communication, is central to the concept of memetics, it is a cultural element or behavioral trait whose transmission and consequent persistence in a population. 

With the progression of social media the use of memes has progressed with it to the point where the use of memes is actually a form of communication. That's mind boggling, I always thought of memes as comedic relief or a way to get a laugh out of someone! 


Comments

  1. Memetic Communication is surprisingly becoming an important way we communicate with those around us. I agree that it is insane that this form of comedy is not a practice we use to rely a message to a friend or family member. I think that as memes continue to evolve, that they humans continue to integrate them into conversation, especially online conversations. Online conversations are an easy place to share and re-post memes to communicate with the person we are talking to. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really interesting how you pointed out Memetic Communication. I think it is true that memes are a form of communication, and have in a way changed how we communicate. Many times when I'm messaging or texting a friend, the friend might say something if we're joking and I'll think if there's a meme or something I can respond with. I also find within my group of friends we have memes within our own friend group. For example, I have a friend who can't stand Croc shoes, and so the rest of us send pictures of crocs to our group message any time we see them. It's a way of joking between us that uses imagery and pop culture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Toys!

It's harder than it looks..